1d12 random features your folk hero type character can gain when leveling up! Made this for a friend's setting. Inspired by Russian folk-tales.
- If you wear a simple linen shirt, it counts as chainmail for AC purposes, but remains a non-encumbering item.
- Your save against Magic with a +2 bonus if you are standing barefoot on ground.
- People tell stories about your exploits. Commoners and simple folk roll Reaction twice and keep the better result.
- The longer your hair and beard, the stronger you are! You can gain up to 3 points to Strength over time. However, if you go bald, you lose twice the amount.
- Slayer of monsters! You gain +2 to hit creatures over HD 6 in melee combat.
- Wandering hero… You get +1 on all your saves, but if you sleep in one place more than once, you lose this benefit forever.
- Your Hit die for this level is one higher than your class would provide (d6<d8<d10<d12).
- Feats of strength! Double your Open Doors/Bend Bars skill.
- Your fame attracts followers! You gain a henchman, whose Loyalty is rolled on 1d6+6.
- Brotherhood of heroes: ancient heroes you encounter roll Reaction twice and keep the better result.
- Human to the core: you gain +2 bonus to resist vampiric charm, hypnosis, and similar effects. You are also always moved to tears by folk music.
- You learn the location of a fabled magic sword buried underground! To claim the weapon, you must defeat a guardian or pass a test. Roll on the sub-table to see which weapon awaits you:
Magic weapons sub-table (d5):
- Mech-samosek. The holder of the self-swinging sword always fights as if under the effect of the spell One Man Army.
- Mech-kladenets. When this sword strikes, sparks fly in all directions, illuminating a 20’ area and revealing invisible creatures for a split second.
- Luk-samostrel. This bow always has the advantage of targeting (+4 to hit).
- Aspid-zmey. Once per day, this sword can turn into a giant snake at the command word and fight for the hero (HD 2, AC as leather, Move as unencumbered, 1 attack: 1d3 damage, save against Poison or incapacitated for as many rounds as the damage rolled)
- Kolchan ognennyj. Arrows stored in this magical quiver become fiery bolts of destruction. They ignore 5 points of armor and do 1d8 damage.