Tuesday, October 17, 2023

How do I make dungeon maps? A tutorial...

People ask me from time to time about my digital dungeon drawing method. Here’s a write-up! I hope it’s useful.




The Process:
I use GIMP, which is an open-source graphic editor. Photoshop can do the same. Basically, you need any graphic software that can do layers and brushes.


I learned the basis of my approach from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agst3lSQ7A&ab_channel=P3RPLEX3D
P3RPLEX3D explains very well how to do basic wall outlines and fill it with a grid pattern. Thanks!

I use custom brushes for dungeon symbols. I downloaded a set from a blog many years ago, and cannot find it :( The file was shared openly, so I feel mildly comfortable including it here.

Then I add everything else on top… Here’s my process:
  1. I put on some music (“Hejira” by Joni Mitchell today)
  2. I sketch out the map on paper. This is not the final version, but it’s good to have the general layout from the start
  3. I open GIMP
  4. I already have a blank map file, so that I don’t have to go through basic setup every time. This blank has several layers:
    a. Background
    b. Dungeon wall outline
    c. Dungeon grid
    d. Symbols
    e. A group of text labels
    f. Optional layers to contain stuff like water, overlays, or cover-ups for secrets and traps if I want to create a players’ map
  5. I set the editor’s grid to 70 x 70. This is the standard scale for Roll20 digital maps, but you can use any scale you want
  6. I draw all the walls
    a. Brush size for walls is 8 pixels
    b. For built architecture, I switch on “snap to grid”. Sometimes you have to adjust the grid to 35 x 35 etc., as needed. For natural cave areas, I switch “snap to grid” off
  7. I leave gaps for doors and similar features
  8. Fill up the dungeon with the grid pattern (see the video tutorial above)
  9. Draw the rest of the fckin owl Add in symbols for doors, secret doors, traps, main room features like statues and coffins
  10. Add “indoor” cliffs, bodies of water – these all go on extra layers. The slider for layer opacity helps a LOT!
  11. Add labels and room numbers on top. I always number the rooms on my paper sketch first, and only after that add the digital labels. I use Jost, font size 54 for room numbers, 40 for smaller notes

And so on. There’s a lot of trial-and-error, janky additions and overlays, mistakes happy coincidences. But overall, this is a relatively easy method of creating usable digital dungeon maps without resorting to specialized software. And I like the flexibility it offers.

Step-by-step illustrations:

1. Sketch:

2. Digital outlines:
3. Grid fill:

4. Symbols and extra layers:
5. Labels and finishing touches:

6. TIME TO STOCK IT!

10 comments:

  1. A very practical and useful post! Can't beat the free.99 cost of GIMP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, I've been using GIMP for quite some time now.

      Delete
  2. Very handy. I need to figure out how to show the grid. I typically import a graph paper pdf then erase bits. However you are doing it is far easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that grid fill trick from the youtube channel I mention in the post! This is a more in-depth video on creating the grid pattern in GIMP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llsyqa5s_Nw

      Delete
  3. I especially like the music tip :)

    What's your favorite mapping music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mapped to Tangerine Dream a couple of times... But overall it's pretty varied, depends on my mood or if there is an album I want to check out.

      I once did a small challenge to see if it was possible to make a usable dungeon in just 5 minutes :D I used a 5-minute long song for inspiration AND as a timer for the challenge https://eldritchfields.blogspot.com/2022/12/making-dungeon-in-5-minutes-enter-house.html

      Delete
    2. Do you have any musical preferences for mapping or prepping games?

      PS: Ooo your avatar is that cool War of the Worlds tripod illustration!

      Delete
    3. I did do some playlists for prepping games, retrowave for cyberpunk, 70s hard rock for fantasy, stuff like that

      Delete
  4. Love how thorough you are, very "old school" in a sense. Thanks for the helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete