Saturday, July 29, 2023

Dirt simple 2d6 weather roll

Here's a short entry for this month's Blog Carnival: Terrain, Seasons, Weather!

By now using Reaction rolls to adjudicate, umm, everything and anything, has become an OSR staple, and I'm here for it! I think I first stumbled upon this idea over at Talysman's The Nine and Thirty Kingdoms blog. Since then, this little table has been on my DM screen/binder. 

 

Weather

2

Worst possible, anomalous, no travel

3-5

Very bad,
travel speed halved

6-8

Normal for season, regular travel

9-11

Advantageous, bonus travel speed

12

The best possible, bonus travel speed and morale


I like it, because it gives me a baseline, from which I can improv the actual conditions. If I'm stuck, I use the old "Dolmenwood Hex Crawl Procedure" document (no longer available on Gavin's blog, but pdf's hosted in other places are still around), which has a very nice 4xd8 table of possible seasonal weather types.


Giorgione, you rock.


2 comments:

  1. I've done that as well, backing out of of the old Traveller reaction roll. Though the hex flower weather maps seem a better way to have weather per day and not be entirely random

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hex flower weather in theory. In practice, it's another piece of paper I have to have before me or on the screen, another marker to keep track of... It's a lesser cognitive load for me to just make up how the weather gets better or worse based.

      Delete